Family Connect

Monday, September 22, 2014

Parenting a middle schooler can be one of the most frightening, exciting, frustrating, joyous things in life. Middle school-aged children experience so many changes that it is sometimes difficult to keep up - for the child and the parent! Author Rachel Vail penned a reminder for us all last week about how to best love a middle schooler. Her list is titled Top 15 Things Your Middle School Kid Wishes You Knew


Here are the Five Points of Focus for parents:

1. Support. Ask your middle schooler to teach you about what he/she is learning or what he/she is good at. "I have to be a beginner constantly. Show me it's OK to stay relaxed and present when you are struggling to learn something."
2. Smile! Your middle schooler still wants to have fun with you and needs to feel that home is safe and happy. 
3. Listen. Let your middle schooler make some of his/her own choices and mistakes. "Don't do my work for me or get me out of every jam...Don't condescend." Wait for him/her to ask for help.
4. Believe. Trust that your middle schooler will do his/her work. "If I don't, you can help me manage my time, but wait until I'm not taking care of responsibilities to think I can't." 
5. Encourage. Let your middle schooler know that you think he/she is funny, interesting, or awesome. "I actually do care what you think about me. Please find something specific you actually like about me because sometimes I can't find anything in myself to like at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment